Topping Up Stepping Up is a revision course for practitioners who have previously completed Stepping Up satisfactorily, but who have not commenced practice on their own account within the required two years of the expiry date.
- You must commence Topping Up Stepping Up within three years of the expiry date of your Stepping Up qualification.
- If your Stepping Up qualification has been expired for three years or more, you must repeat Stepping Up and are not eligible for Topping Up Stepping Up.
- There is no face-to-face tuition for Topping Up Stepping Up. You must complete all work in your own time and
send it to NZLS CLE within the time allowed (this is 10 weeks from the dispatch of the materials to you).
- Topping Up Stepping Up, uses the Stepping Up materials. You will be sent a new set of materials as they have been
amended since you completed the programme.
- If your work needs to be substantially re-submitted and re-marked, you will be charged a fee of $100 (incl. GST).
- When you have completed Topping Up Stepping Up satisfactorily, you then have two years to commence practice
on your own account.
Topping Up Stepping Up is a refresher course for practitioners who have completed Stepping Up satisfactorily but who have not commenced practice on their own account within the required two years. By completing a comprehensive business plan, reflecting on, and writing about, scenarios exploring four aspects of legal practice, and revising the rules of trust accounting, you will be better able to:
- manage the business of a law practice, in particular costing and billing strategies
- assume responsibility for the obligations of the practice, in particular managing a large project with a team of lawyers/consultants/experts/staff
- manage client files, including a process for dealing with a complaint
- identify risks specific to your practice and apply appropriate approaches to minimise and mitigate them
- describe and apply the law and practice of trust accounting to properly handle client money received in the course of practice (barristers exempt).
- Topping Up Stepping Up Course Fee (this includes TUSTU materials and the current edition of Stepping Up materials) $505
Download the registration form
For more information about Topping Up Stepping Up, please email [email protected]