Online CPD module l Booklet l PowerPoint Presentation
Package Fee (incl GST)
$91 - NZLS members and Associate members
$121 - Non-members
Note: Access to the online files is via your "My CPD" page. If you would like to purchase multiple packages, please contact us here.
Online CPD module
Presentation time: 60 minutes
The Takeovers Code applies to listed companies that have voting securities quoted on the NZSX, and to unlisted companies that have more than 50 shareholders and more than 50 share parcels.
All practitioners who advise in the area of commercial law, and generalist and regional practitioners, need to consider the Takeovers Code (even if their clients don’t include Code companies) because their clients may be shareholders in Code companies, and the Code can have implications even for small shareholders. The Code can also “sneak up” on small companies that are in a growth phase.
During the course the Chief Executive of the Takeovers Panel will provide an overview of the Code and will focus on corporate transactions and shareholder action or inaction that can raise Code issues. This is a high level look at how, when and why the Code can be triggered. It is aimed at those who are not familiar with the Code and who didn’t realise that they may need to be! So for example if you are –
- an advisor to small-medium sized companies and co-operative companies on matters such as capital raisings, share buybacks and business acquisitions
- an advisor on family trusts or other matters, for clients with investment portfolios that include shares in Code companies
- an advisor on relationship property matters (because shares in Code companies may be part of the relationship property)
- a new solicitor in a firm or working in-house who wants to gain insights into when the Code might raise issues for corporate clients
- an advisor to the Crown who wants a basic understanding of the Code in advance of any partial sales of shares in SOEs
- a company manager or director who wants to gain an insight into how the Code applies, or may one day apply, to your company and its shareholders,
your attendance will enable you to recognise situations that may mean the Takeovers Code needs to be factored into your advice to clients.
Authors: Margaret Bearsley
Published: 19 March, 2013
View contents page
There is no introduction for this publication.
These are the slides included in the presentation.
Number of Slides: 15