The welfare and best interests of the child in their particular circumstances are paramount. As part of this, a judge needs to consider a child’s cultural identity, including ethnicity, language and religion. Cultural reports can be one way of presenting this information to the Court.
This webinar will provide the perspectives of a cultural report writer, a senior family lawyer and a Family Court Judge and will help ensure that you have a practical understanding of cultural reports and other information that is useful for a Judge when making a determination.
Topics will include:
- Background – when and why, under what circumstances to commission a cultural report
- What information is the Judge looking for?
- What’s in the report?
- Who writes the report/who is appropriate?
- Alternative sources for cultural information
- Cost of reports.
By attending this webinar you will:
- Have a better understanding of cultural reports and the circumstances when they are appropriate.
- Know what should be included in a cultural report.
- Be aware of alternative sources of cultural information.
Who should attend
Family and youth lawyers, and in particular, Lawyer for Child.
- Her Hon Judge Alayne Wills, District Court, Rotorua
- Mānia Hope, Puna Chambers, Hamilton
- Joanne Rosandich, Māori Cultural Report Writer, Hastings
Book / Technical Specs
A background book written by the presenter is available in hard copy, PDF, or both. Please indicate your choice upon registration.
- Hard Copy - Your book will be posted to you - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and posted the hard copy book - additional $30 charge
For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here.
Fee (Incl GST)
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Use the multiple registration button below or Click here
- Webinar 11.00am - 12.30pm Wednesday 14 April2021
- Registration closes - 3.00pm, Tuesday 13 April 2021
View PDF brochure and registration form here.
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.
Cancellation and refund policy
You may cancel your registration eight
working days in advance of an event, and you will receive a refund less a 25%
administration fee. If you cancel less than eight
working days in advance of the event, no refund is payable. If you are unable to attend, you may transfer your registration to another person. If you wish to do so you must advise CLE in writing of the change. NZLS CLE Ltd reserves the right to close registrations, and, cancel or reschedule an event as necessary. Where an event is cancelled by CLE, a full refund is payable.