23 March 2020
As a result of the government moving to COVID-19 level 3, the following sessions of the Update on Contract seminar are CANCELLED:
- Tues 24 March Hamilton
- Wed 25 March Auckland and
- Wed 25 March live stream
As a replacement for the seminar and to assist with your CPD requirements we will provide you with a link to the archive of the webinar together with a set of questions that you can use as discussion points with your colleagues (you could do this over the phone/zoom/skype etc) to meet the interactive component of the CPD scheme and qualify for CPD hours in these exceptional circumstances. You will be emailed instructions on how to access this tomorrow afternoon.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you have any questions please contact us on 0800 333 111 or [email protected]
As the CLE team is working remotely we ask for you patience if there is a delay in us getting back to you.
Contract law is at the heart of commercial law and practice. A sound up-to-date knowledge of the area is essential for all lawyers.
This seminar will address recent developments in contract law in a practical manner, including:
- Interpretation – drafting mistakes and rectification
- Estoppel – no oral variation clauses
- Implied terms
- Obligations of good faith
- Mistake, misrepresentation, FTA, disclaimer clauses and reasonableness
- Exception clauses
- Unfair contract terms
- Relief from forfeiture
- Liquidated damages, penalties
- Recovery and assessment of damages.
In addition to reviewing recent New Zealand developments, the seminar will consider decisions from other common law jurisdictions which are likely to be relevant to contract law in New Zealand.
After this attending you will have:
- Up-to-date knowledge of recent developments in contract law.
- An understanding of the practical consequences of those developments.
Who should attend
All general practitioners, property and commercial lawyers, and litigators.
Book / Technical Specs
A background book written by the presenters is available in hard copy, PDF, or both. Please indicate your choice upon registration.
- Hard Copy - Your book will be posted to you - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and posted the hard copy book - additional $30 charge
For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here
- Paul David QC, Eldon Chambers, Auckland
- Seminar: The presenter will share practical advice, providing opportunity for questions and discussion.
- Webinar: A condensed 1.5 hour version of this seminar will be presented by live webinar.
- 2.00pm - 5.00pm Seminar
- 11.00am - 12.30pm Webinar
- Live webinar registration closes - 3.00pm, Wednesday 18 March 2020
- Live web stream registration closes - 12.30pm Wednesday 25 March 2020
Fee (Incl GST)
Seminar & Live Web Stream
- $255 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $305 - Non-members
- $205 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $255 - Non-members
- 2+1 registrations and study groups click here for more info
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
View PDF brochure and registration form here.
Cancellation & refund policy
If written notice of cancellation of a registration arrives before the day of the seminar we will refund the registration fee, less the cost of the booklet and less an administration fee of $75. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute. NZLS CLE Ltd reserves the right to cancel or reschedule seminars if necessary.
Live webinar - CPD
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.