The new Land Transfer Act 2017 modernises, updates, and amends the current legislation, with a greater focus on the electronic environment. Over 10 years in the making, the Act received Royal assent on 10 July 2017 and it is expected to come into force in November 2018. An understanding of the new legislation is critical for all those working in property law, including lawyers, legal executives and surveyors.
This seminar provides a comprehensive introduction to the new Act. The presenters will guide you through what has and has not changed, what you need to know, what you need to do, and where to get more information.
Topics covered will include:
- New terminology and concepts
- Indefeasibility and new ‘manifest injustice’ provisions
- Definition of fraud, and compensation arrangements
- New regulations and Registrar-General of Land standards
- Withholding landowner information
- Covenants in gross and encumbrances
- Case studies and practical issues
- Transitional arrangements
- Agreement for sale and purchase and settlement guidelines
- Registrar-General of Land powers, including withholding information.
After attending this seminar/webinar you will:
- Have increased understanding of the key changes brought about by the new legislation.
- Know how the Act will be implemented, how to prepare for it, and where to get more information.
Who should attend
Property lawyers at all levels, as well as legal executives and licenced conveyancers who work with the Land Transfer Act. Surveyors will also benefit.
Book / Technical Specs
A background book written by the presenters is now available in hard copy, PDF, or both. Please indicate your choice upon registration.
- Hard Copy - Your book will be posted to you - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and posted the hard copy book - additional $30 charge
For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here.
- Seminar: The presenter will share practical advice, providing opportunity for questions and discussion.
- Webinar: A condensed 2 hour version of this seminar will be presented by live webinar.
- Seminar: 1.00pm - 5.00pm
- Webinar: 9.30am - 11.30 - registrations close 3pm 17 October
- Thomas Gibbons, Director, McCaw Lewis, Hamilton
- Robbie Muir, Registrar-General of Land, LINZ, Wellington
Fee (incl GST)
- $255 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $305 - Non-members
- $205 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $255 - Non-members
- 2+1 registrations and study groups click here for more info
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
Download PDF brochure and registration form here.
Cancellation and refund policy
If written notice of cancellation of a registration arrives before the day of the seminar we will refund the registration fee, less the cost of the booklet and less an administration fee of $75. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute. NZLS CLE Ltd reserves the right to cancel or reschedule seminars if necessary.
Live webinar - CPD
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.