The Family Violence Act and the Family Violence (Amendment) Acts constitute a major step in supporting the system to reduce New Zealand’s unacceptable rate of family violence.
The legislation takes effect in two phases; with Phase One having taken effect on 3 December, 2018 and Phase Two coming into effect from 1 July, this year. This second stage of the legislation replaces the Domestic Violence Act 1995; and amends the Care of Children Act 2004, the Criminal Procedure Act 2011 and the Sentencing Act 2002.
The presenters will discuss in particular:
- New extended definitions of family violence
- Key changes to protection and property orders including applications, procedures and effect of those orders
- Police safety orders and there extension
- New provisions for information sharing
- Changes to the Care of Children Act
- Breaching of protection orders a specific aggravating factor to be considered at sentencing.
Following on from a webinar in February this year that considered Phase One, this webinar will examine the implications of the Phase Two changes and is aimed at helping ensure that you are able to provide robust advice to your clients who are affected by this new legislation.
After this webinar you will be:
- Conversant with the Phase Two changes and the legislation affected by them.
- Able to give robust advice to your clients on these changes.
Who should attend
Family, and criminal lawyers.
Book / Technical Specs
A background book written by the presenters is available in hard copy, PDF, or both. Please indicate your choice upon registration.
- Hard Copy - Your book will be posted to you - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and posted the hard copy book - additional $30 charge
For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here
- Liz Lewes, Director, Cuba Family Law, Wellington
- Chris Merrick, Mānuka Chambers, Auckland
- Tania Williams Blyth, Te Kopu Legal, Rotorua
Fee (Incl GST)
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
- Webinar - 11.00am - 12.30pm
- Registration closes - 3.00pm, Tuesday 2 July 2019
View PDF brochure and registration form here.
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.
Cancellation and refund policy
Since the webinar is available to registrants as an archive after the live presentation, there is no cancellation – we just transfer your user status as a registrant from the live presentation to a purchaser of the webinar package of recorded webinar, PowerPoints and booklet.