The Family Violence Act and the Family Violence (Amendments) Act received royal assent on 12 November 2018 and constitute a major step in supporting an integrated response to reduce New Zealand’s unacceptable rate of family violence.
The legislation comes into effect in two phases; with Phase One having taken effect on 3 December 2018 and strengthening the criminal justice system by:
- Adding three offences in the Crimes Act 1961
- Making victim safety the primary consideration in bail decisions in the Bail Act 2000
- Making it easier for complainants to give evidence by video recording through new provisions in the Evidence Act 2006.
The presenters will take a practical approach in examining the Phase One changes and will help ensure that you conversant with the changes in order to provide robust advice to your clients who are affected by this new legislation.
Phase Two takes effect from 1 July 2019 and amends the Care of Children Act 2004, the Criminal Procedure Act 2011 and the Sentencing Act 2002.
After this webinar you will be:
- Conversant with the Phase One changes and the legislation affected by them.
- Able to give robust advice to your clients on these changes.
Who should attend
Crown prosecutors, criminal defence lawyers, and family lawyers.
Book / Technical Specs
A background book written by the presenters is available in hard copy, PDF, or both. Please indicate your choice upon registration.
- Hard Copy - Your book will be posted to you - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and posted the hard copy book - additional $30 charge
For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here
- Julia Robertson, Barrister, Quay Legal, Wellington
- Professor Julia Tolmie, Faculty of Law, University of Auckland, Auckland
Fee (Incl GST)
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
- Webinar - 11.00am - 12.30pm
- Registration closes - 3.00pm, Tuesday 19 February 2019
View PDF brochure and registration form here.
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.
Cancellation and refund policy
Since the webinar is available to registrants as an archive after the live presentation, there is no cancellation – we just transfer your user status as a registrant from the live presentation to a purchaser of the webinar package of recorded webinar, PowerPoints and booklet.