The courts in New Zealand constitute an essential part of the democratic framework and it is generally accepted that court processes should be open to public scrutiny.
This webinar will have a particular focus on the ability of the public to access court documents, either personally or through the agency of the media.
Topics covered will include:
History and development
- Concept of open justice
- Role of the media
- The different schemes from 1985 onwards
- The current scheme
- Applying for access
- Supporting the application
- Opposing the application
- Approach followed by Court
- Relevant considerations
- Specific situations
- Restricted situations
- Actions to protect clients and information.
After this webinar you will have a greater understanding of:
- The current scheme and the process for an application.
- Recent case law and the implications of the decisions.
Who should attend
All practitioners, especially all litigators.
Materials / Technical Specs
A background booklet written by the presenters will be sent to participants before the webinar. For information on what is required to participate in the webinar, click here.
Via the internet, you will see and hear the presenters, see the PowerPoint slides and be able to type in questions.
- Andrew Beck, Barrister, Greytown
- Catriona MacLennan, Barrister, Auckland
Fee (Incl GST)
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
- Webinar - 11.00am - 12.30pm
- Registration closes - 3.00pm, Tuesday 20 February 2018
View PDF brochure and registration form here.
Attendance at the live webinar
Registration but non-attendance on the day
- If you attended the live webinar, you will receive an electronic certificate of attendance as verification for your CPD records.
- You can view and hear the presentation again, as many times as you wish in your own time for no additional cost.
- Under the CPD Scheme only those who attend a live webinar are eligible to claim CPD hours.
- If you registered but were unable to attend on the day, you can view and hear the archived recording of the presentation.
Cancellation and refund policy
Since the webinar is available to registrants as an archive after the live presentation, there is no cancellation – we just transfer your user status as a registrant from the live presentation to a purchaser of the webinar package of recorded webinar, PowerPoints and booklet.