Registrations open soon - Would you like to be notified when registrations open?
This practical two-day “transaction” based workshop will equip you with the knowledge and understanding to deal with the purchase, establishment, operation and sale of a business.
- Acquiring a business – Understanding the process: initial client interview and purchasing a business to development an implementation of an appropriate structure that meets a client’s needs.
- Funding – Practical considerations and processes involved in common financing arrangements.
- Governance – Practical considerations of common key governance and administration issues.
- Distributions – Identifying the different types of distributions and dealing with common issues arising in connection with returning funds to shareholders.
- Expansion – The issues involved in introducing new owners to the business, and regulating the relationships between shareholders by agreement.
- Shareholder disputes – Your role in assisting clients to resolve disputes among shareholders.
- Financial trouble – Advising companies and directors in situations of financial difficulty and responding to the demands of creditors.
- Sale of shares – The process of, and common issues arising in connection with, sales of company shares.
- Role of the lawyer – Understanding your role in advising business clients; identifying and responding to situations where conflicts of interest may arise.
You will be equipped with the knowledge and understanding to deal with the purchase, establishment, operation, and sale of a business.
This workshop will include some pre-course work and about 2 hours of homework in the evening of day one, mini-lectures, group discussions, questionnaires, role plays, planning and drafting exercises, preparing checklists, and brainstorming sessions.
Who should attend
Recently admitted practitioners in their first three years’ of practice.
Participants will be sent a full set of materials in advance.
- Day 1: 8.30am – 5.15pm
- Day 2: 9.00am – 5.00pm
- Christchurch - Mark Odlin, Buddle Findlay, and Georgina Toomey, Anderson Lloyd
- Wellington - John Horner and Fiona MacKinnon, Simmonds Stewart
- Auckland - Katie Green, Flacks & Wong, Raewyn Lovett ONZM, Duncan Cotterill, Graeme Switzer, Duncan Cotterill and Kimberley Wong, Wynn Williams