From the Chair
Three years on from the last national Youth Advocates Conference, youth advocates are still grappling with what is an increasingly complex jurisdiction. This year’s conference will further explore the impact of neurodisabilities, including drug addiction, on young people within the criminal justice system. The use of communication assistants has grown since the last conference and how they are utilised has been refined and defined. The conference will be an opportunity to upskill on these topics. The effects of the 2010 amendments are being well and truly felt, particularly in the area of child offenders/pushback and the extended nature of disposition options. 2018 is an opportune time to discuss what issues have arisen, now the changes to the legislation are bedded in. Our national conference will be a great opportunity to hear about regional practices and exchange ideas on how best to represent our young clients. This is one of the few opportunities to attend a CPD programme that is specific to the Youth Court. All youth advocates, experienced and new, should take this excellent opportunity to increase their knowledge base, and I look forward to seeing you there.
Chair: Clare Bennett
Download the conference brochure for a full outline of each session.
- Mihi Whakatau
- Keynote Address - issues & initiatives
- Legislative Changes
- Transfers to the District Court... Even Playing Field or Minefield?
- The Psychology of Youth Who Offend
- Staying Well Within the Law
- Does Unconscious Bias Exist?
- A View from the Bench
- Special Presentation - Ngā Manu Kōrero
- Practical Ideas for Using Te Reo & Tikanga Māori in Your Practice
- Family Group Conferences: An opportunity to innovate & consolidate
- The "War on Gangs" is Over - We Lost
- "I Can't Do Sentences" - Communication assistance & justice
- Neurodisabilities & Related Issues
- Brain & Behaviour Changes Associated with Drug Addiction
By attending this conference you will:
- Gain further understanding of specific Youth Court and youth advocacy-related issues.
- Gain valuable support and encouragement from meeting and liasing with other youth advocates.
- Share your own and benefit from others’ ideas for improving youth advocacy practice, especially Family Group Conferences.
- Increase your knowledge of and ability to use Te Reo and Tikanga Māori in your practice.
- Improve your understanding of neurodisability issues that may affect your clients.
Please indicate your selection upon registration:
- Hard Copy - Your book will be given to you when you register on the day - no extra charge
- PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event - no extra charge
- Both Hard Copy & PDF - You will be emailed a PDF copy of the book 3 working days before the event, and you can collect the hard copy book when you register on the day - additional $30 charge
- 8.00am - 8.30am - Registration
- 8.30am - Sessions begin
- 5.00pm - Sessions end
- 6.30pm - 10.00pm - Conference Dinner
- 8.45am - Sessions begin
- 4.30pm - Sessions end
Fee (incl GST)
Earlybird - by 31 July 2018
- $1,180 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $1,280 - Non-members
Registration after 31 July 2018
Additional Dinner Guests
- $1,230 - NZLS members and Associate members
- $1,330 - Non-members
Do you want to register more than one person for this course? Click here
Download PDF brochure & registration form here.
Cancellation and refund policy
Please note: Minimum and maximum numbers apply. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come/first-served basis. Registrations close 10 working days before the presentation date (the closing date). NZLS CLE Ltd reserves the right to cancel any session that does not reach the budgeted minimum number of registrations. This decision will be made on the closing date and a full refund will be made to each registrant of the cancelled session. If you cancel your registration before the closing date, a refund will be made, less a $200 administration fee. After the closing date, there will be no refund. You may transfer your registration to another person until five working days before the presentation. Please advise NZLS CLE Ltd in writing of the change.